Thursday, December 03, 2009

The oldest person in Elkton

Ethel is 94 years old, and I believe she is the oldest, or one of the oldest, young ladies in town. Ethel grew up, married, and farmed all her life on a farm north of Elkton. She tells me that Elkton is home for her; and for now, that is how she plans to keep it. She says she feels good, and her health is good. But yet, one of the most difficult things for her about being the oldest in the community is that she has outlived most of her very close friends.
Ethel still enjoys a good game of cards with friends, and when the weather is nice a ride in country. She also enjoys having a good steak dinner with friends in one of our neighboring towns on Saturday night.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up spending my summers wandering around Elkton with friends and cousins.
When I saw the picture of Ethel I thought "I know her!" unfortunately I can't remember her last name so I can't place her exactly. I'm related to Helen Heesch. Maybe she'll remember her. I still cook things from the "Elkton Cook Book" circa maybe 1945? I love the fact that the cook book had a section just for donuts! Life must have been good for kids in Elkton.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home